|M224-A1 Light Machine Gun|
|Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Killzone: Mercenary|
|Type||Light Machine Gun|
|Rate of fire||Low|
- "A very large magazine loaded with armour piercing rounds; make this weapon ideal for suppressing enemy troops. Weight of the weapon limits mobility."
- —Killzone.com Description
It has retained the power of the heavy ISA M224-A3 Heavy Support Weapon and its mounted counterpart the M224 MOMAG which are all manufactured by ISA, using the powerful 6.8 x 43 mm cartridge like the M82 Assault Rifle, but has lost the single-shot missile shooting capability of the fore in order to increase its maneuverability, as well as a significant reduction of fire rate. Being lighter, it can be fired from a shouldered position using its iron sights and so gains a considerable accuracy advantage over the StA-3 Stova LMG. The weapon is favored by ISA Strike force squads for laying down sustained suppressive fire, while other squad members flank enemy positions.
It is similar to the Helghast StA-3 LMG in that both are mainly used for supporting fire. It fires from 56 round belts (in Killzone 3 there are 96) box of 6.8 x 43 mm ammunition with a limit of 280 rounds (5 boxes) at any given time. Fired from the hip, it is deadly in bursts (or sustained fire in close quarters), but shouldering the weapon allows for more accuracy at medium to long range.
- The M224-A1 resembles a slightly larger version of the Belgian FN Minimi/M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) used by most NATO armies with some features of the FN MAG (essentially a larger M249) and the stock of a Heckler & Koch HK21.
- In the Killzone 2: Collector's Guide to Campaign and Warzone this weapon is referred to as the "M224-1A" whereas on the official Killzone website and in downloadable Intel Unlockable 9 (Killzone 2 Fansite Kit) it is referred to as the "M224-A1". The second (A1) is assumed to be the correct name, based on the fact the M224-A3 appeared in Killzone 1.
- In Killzone 3, the gun is seen (before being picked up) as the M224-1A.
- The machine gun now holds 96 rounds per box in Killzone 3.
- In Killzone 3, the back iron sights were removed, possibly to give a more open field of view.
- In Killzone 3, the M224-A1's damage has been noticeably increased in single-player, so that it does more damage than the StA-3 LMG.
- In Killzone: Mercenary, it can be obtained as a DLC weapon.